Have you noticed how much Sugar grabs the headlines lately ?
Dieticians and Nutritionists seem to have many differnt
opinions, some saying we should avoid sugar as much
as possible. Others say that sugar is ok in moderation.
So, these different opinions leave many confused and also
creates alot of questions.
So, a couple of questions ….
- What exactly is moderation ?
- what is the impact of dietary sugar ?
It’s possible that you would receive different answers from different people. Maybe this has something to do with what they may gain from their response.
Facts & Figures
- Diabetes – Over 200,000 people have diabetes in New Zealand and about 50 are diagnosed every day.
- Dental Issues – 50% of kiwi kids need decayed teeth removed. The main reason for this is diet. 25% of their sugar comes from Fizzy Drinks and Juices
- Obesity – There are over 2 billion people overweight or obese.
In New Zealand , that equals 2 out of 3 adults and 1 out of 3
children. This may seem hard to believe. Obesity is calculated
by weight and height.
- Heart Disease – this is a leading cause of death in New Zealand , coming to about 30% of deaths every years. Sugar has a direct effect on risk factors of heart disease.
It’s not just about the cost of healthcare. It’s also about
So, how does your diet and health add up ?